The MI's in online learning

Thursday, April 06, 2006

visual and spatial

Picture smart isn't just about being able to draw or produce images in your head. As the word spatial signifies, it's also about perception of space. Read the following text and then take a minute to lean back and clese your eyes. See what happens.

Imagine a large building that you know. Stand next to it. Feel the space in front of you and the space behind you. Enter the building. Become aware of the space you are in, of the lines and colors. What are your feelings of being in this room?

Your response to this activity will tell you a lot about what intelligences are strong. If you are able to get a feeling for it. Analyse the words you would use to describe what you experienced. Your vocabulary will probably reflect one of the 'smarts' described further down, although this would be considered a picture smart activity.

A very clever and creative person I know is helping me develop and expand my own picture smartness. He advised me to draw only what I see. The result is that I tried drawing what I thought I could draw what I see. This turned out to be a shadow. Now I intend to go further with this idea. You can find an interesting link to another blog that is a good example of how to encourage and develop visual and spatial intelligence on the internet for anyone interested.

An important point here - the intelligences can be developed and strengthened with exercise, but if it is a week intelligence for you, you may need to access it through stronger ones.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Illya! I really like your blog and am happy that I was an inspiration for this great piece of work. You offer some really valuable links and I hope your students (and more) will get good use of that. Keep up the good work!
The MI-lover, Ketrin

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home